Rep. Sharice Davids Votes to Secure U.S. Elections from Foreign Interference
Representative Sharice Davids voted today to pass the SHIELD Act (H.R. 4617), a set of common-sense, bipartisan solutions to counter foreign interference in U.S. elections and strengthen our democracy.
“Free and fair elections are the basis of our democracy. We know that foreign adversaries launched successful attacks on our elections in 2016. And our Intelligence Community, including the sitting FBI director, has made it clear that they are trying to do it again. That’s why I voted to pass the SHIELD Act, which would strengthen laws to protect our elections and democracy from foreign intervention. With 2020 quickly approaching, I urge the Senate to act on this critical piece of legislation now,” Davids said.
The SHIELD Act protects U.S. elections from foreign interference by:
- Creating a duty to report illicit offers of campaign assistance from foreign governments and their agents.
- Improving transparency of online political advertisements.
- Closing loopholes that allow foreign nationals and foreign governments to spend in U.S. elections.
- Restricting the exchange of campaign information between candidates and foreign governments and their agents.
- Prohibiting deceptive practices about voting procedures.