As Tax Day is Delayed, Davids Offers Need to Know Information on Filing Taxes, Missing Economic Impact Payments, and Securing Your Refund

March 29, 2021
Press Release
Federal and Kansas Tax Day extended to May 17th to offer Taxpayers an Extra Month to File

Both the Federal and Kansas Tax deadlines have been extended to 11:59 PM on May 17th, giving Kansas residents an extra month to file their 2020 Income Taxes. The extension seeks to help taxpayers as they navigate the unusual circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic.


“I applaud the IRS’ decision to extend the tax deadline to May 17th, helping to provide some relief to Kansans who have faced unprecedented hardships over the past year,” said Davids. “My office is available to help Kansans cut red tape and resolve issues they may have with the federal government, including stalled tax refunds. If possible, we encourage all Kansans to file early and electronically to expedite any payments or refunds you are expecting.”


The following are important to keep in mind when preparing to file your 2020 income taxes:

  • No additional forms are required to benefit from the extension. It is important to check with your financial advisor or the IRS website to confirm if the due date of any Federal or State tax payments you owe has changed.
    • If you are granted an additional extension beyond May 17th,  the deadline of October 15th, 2021 has not changed.  
  • If possible, filing electronically and with direct deposit information is encouraged to receive payments or refunds more efficiently. If your Adjusted Gross Income is $72,000 or less, you qualify for the IRS Free File Program. More information can be found at
  • The latest Economic Impact Payment of $1,400 is still being released. If you have not received it, you can use the Get My Payment tool at to find out when and how your third payment will be sent to you. 
    • If you previously did not receive either of the first two Economic Impact Payments or received less than the full amounts, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return even if you don't usually file a tax return. More information can be found at
  • Get Help


If you have questions regarding the tax return process, you can visit the IRS’ webpage at or call my office at (913) 621-0832 where staff is ready to help.